Herringbone floor creates a unique image and mood when talking about wooden floor. Generally, if you treat wood in an appropriate way and take care of it, you can practically enjoy a wooden floor in any room.
I have some general advices (source). It is worth mentioning that herringbone parquet is really suitable for heated floor…
If you want that your parquet floor was beautiful and provided satisfaction for a long time, you have follow these operation conditions:
1. Important: wood is sensitive to humidity fluctuations, therefore, in premises, where a parquet is operated, it is necessary to sustain humidity from 40% to 60%. A regular ventilation of a premise and maintaining a gradual relative humidity will help to save a good condition of a parquet. It's possible to reduce a parquet deformation while using air humidifiers in a heating period. Respectively, when moisture is of high level, for example, in summer or autumn, premises can be heated and ventilated. If you are not going to follow these rules in heating season period, there is a possibility that the gaps between parquet planks appear. It depends on a wood stability how strongly and in what period of time this wood reacts to moisture fluctuation. The more stable the wood is, the slower it reacts to any changes of relative humidity: oak, ash is a stable type, maple – a middle-low stability wood.
2. Lay under the mats next to the premise entrance which ensure a collection of sand and dirt out of any shoes.
3. Legs of portable or movable furniture must be protected by soft felt pillows designed for this purpose; where it's not possible to do it, the mats are used.
4. To protect the floor from chair scratching, special protective plastic mats must be used;
5. Radiators and installations using water have to be tidy. Filth, water and other liquid, which get on the floor have to be cleaned at once.
Taking care of a painted parquet
Dust and sand are cleaned from a parquet with a vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner must have a tip which does not scratch a surface or a floor brush. A cloth, used for cleaning has to be very well drilled so that it didn’t leave water swamps. Concentrated removers cannot be used. If you notice any apparent lacquer wear away indications, you have to freshly and repaint the floor and should not wait until lacquer will be totally wiped.
Taking care of an oiled and oiled-waxy parquet
Dust and sand are cleaned from a parquet with a vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner must have a tip which does not scratch a surface or a floor brush. A cloth, used for cleaning has to be very well drilled so that it didn’t leave water swamps.
The darkening and fading of wood – shades of a wood are changing over time as any natural substance, for example, oak and ash get dark and maple – red.